If you are already receiving an old age, disability or war veteran's grant and you are unable to care for yourself, to the point where you need full-time care from someone else, then you may get an additional monthly payment from the government called a grant-in-aid. You cannot get the grant-in-aid on its own; it must be in addition to one of these main grants.

You cannot get the grant-in-aid if you are living in any kind of state-subsidised institution.

The same requirements that apply to your main grant, apply to the grant-in-aid. You must also have a valid medical report or assessment report (less than three months old), which shows that you need full-time care. This can be from a private doctor and does not have to be from a state doctor. You can apply for the grant-in-aid at the same time as when you apply for the main grant.

The amount of the grant-in-aid changes every year. In 2006, the grant is R180 per month. It is paid to you, the beneficiary, and not to any third party.

You can apply for the grant-in-aid by filling in an application form at your nearest District Welfare office or counter service point of a District Office. You do not need to pay anything to make the application.

You will be interviewed, have your fingerprints taken and given information on whether you qualify for the grant. You will also need to show certain documents and provide some information, including:

  • Your South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded.
  • Your medical report or medical assessment report.
  • Information about your marital status:
    • If you are single, an affidavit stating that you are single.
    • If you are married, your marriage certificate.
    • If you are divorced, your divorce order.
    • If your spouse is dead, your spouse's death certificate.

If you cannot go to make the application yourself, a friend or family member can bring a letter from you and a doctor's note saying why you can't visit the office yourself. A home visit may then be arranged.

When you make the application, you should say how you would like the money to be paid. The money can be paid out in cash on specific days at a Pay Point, or you can get the money paid electronically into your bank account. Remember that normal bank charges can apply to any money going in and out of your bank account. You can decide to change the payment method at any time by filling in a form at a Welfare office, but the change will only happen a month later.

It will take about 30 working days for your application to be processed and checked and either approved or refused. If your application is refused, you will get a letter explaining why it has been refused and how you can appeal.

If it is approved, you will start getting payments within three months. The payments will be backdated to the day you applied for the grant. You can find out what has happened to your application and when you can expect payment by telephoning the toll-free South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) telephone number 0800 601 011.

The grant-in-aid will be cancelled if you are no longer in the care of another person, if you die, if you are admitted to a state institution, or if your income or assets improve so much that you no longer qualify in terms of the means test.


National Department of Social Development

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)
Toll-free help line: 0800 601 011 for information on:

  • Pay-out dates.
  • Qualifying rules for all government grants.
  • District office addresses and contact numbers.
  • For help with what has happened to your application.
  • How you can also report any fraud or corruption.

donatenow button sidebardonatenow


Like us on Facebook